I have a horror story to tell all you college students, night owls, and late-sleepers: after spending most of high school and my first year of college downing 1-3 cups of sludgy, acidic coffee a day, my stomach decided it had had enough. I started to get these really terrible stomach aches whenever I drank it, even if I only had one cup in the morning. Though I resisted for as long as I could, it soon became clear that I really had only one option: giving up coffee entirely.
I know. A college student without coffee? Blasphemous. And for the first month or so, it was really hard for me to stay awake. But as the year went on, I found I could stay up as late as I needed to using black tea, and paradoxically, I felt more awake in the morning.
Thankfully, my story has a happy ending. I can drink coffee again, but I still try to stick to 1 cup a day at most (and that’s only when I really feel like a zombie but have to do something that requires me to be awake, like long-distance driving). Moreover, I started to really enjoy all the different flavors of tea. Like, really enjoy them. Like, there is an entire cabinet in my house overflowing with boxes of tea that only I drink. So without further ado, here are some of my recommendations!
1. Twinings Lady Grey Tea: A milder version of Earl Grey with citrusy notes. It’s extremely drinkable — your cup will be empty before you notice it. $
2. Trader Joe’s Mango Black Tea: The tropical fruitiness of this tea is great for zesting up your morning routine or serving iced in the summer. $
3. Twinings Spiced Apple Chai: The spiced apple is a lively update to a cold weather standard. Delicious with steamed milk and cardamom. $
4. Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset: A spicy tea that’s perfect for curling up with if you find yourself without a fireplace. $$$
5. Yokomata Genmaicha: This tea is made with brown rice, giving it a unique taste that’s a lot more flavorful than regular green teas. $
6. Tazo Ginger Green Tea: Spicy and refreshing. $$
7. Trader Joe’s Jasmine Pearl Tea: One of the most flavorful jasmine teas I’ve ever tried. $
8. Tazo Cucumber White Tea: A delicate tea that’s perfect for chilly summer nights. $$
9. Tazo Refresh: Exactly as the name suggests, this peppermint tea is superbly refreshing at any time of day in any season. $$
10.Yogi Honey Lemon Throat Comfort: This tea magically heals sore throats and stuffy sinuses! And the honey and lemon mask the taste of the licorice. $
What I paid:
$: 1-3 dollars a box
$$: 4-6 dollars a box
$$$: more than 6 dollars a box
Remember, these are New York City prices, so prices at your local supermarkets or coffeeshops may vary.